The St. James Church built by James Skinner is the oldest Church in Delhi. This church has its fair share of visitors each year because of its magnificent dome and columns. The Nearby Attractions of St. James Church should not be missed by any visitor. They are all well worth a visit. The Nearby attractions of St. James Church are as follows
To the north of the city of Shahjahanabad built by Shahjahan there is this gate known as the Kashmiri Gate because the royal processions going towards Kashmir always passed through this gate. It was later modified by the Britishers. In the year 1835 it was fortified and converted to a double gateway. Its historical importance lies in the fact that it stood witness to several eventuous happenings that took place in the year1857.
Dara Shikoh Library
Dara Shikoh, the tolerant and intelligent son of Shahjahan built this building. The present library is housed in one of the rooms which were occupied by him. Unfortunately the library lost most of the valuable books at the time of the Great Revolt of 1857. Sir David Ochterlony, the first British resident of Delhi resided in it for some time. He took initiative to renovate this building.
The Lothian Cemetery is the first British Cemetery in Delhi. There is a war memorial resembling a huge Celtic cross in this cemetery. It was built in honor of all the British soldiers who laid their lives at the time of the Great revolt of 1857. Among the numerous graves that can be found in the Cemetery, the dome belonging to Thomas Dunnes is strikingly different.
In the year 1656, Shahjahan built a magnificent mosque of red sandstone. This Jama Masjid is one of the Nearby Attractions of St. James Church. Standing on a high platform, this mosque has three gateways through which you can enter the courtyard. The minarets, domes, pillared corridors, courtyard and the 11 arches embellished with marble frames found in the main prayer hall of this mosque are exquisitely beautiful.
This street meaning Moon Square reflects that variety is truly the spice of life. Countless traditional Havelis, shops and restaurants are to be found here. A walk down this street will enable you to understand the meaning of the phrase 'unity in diversity'. It truly signifies secular India. There are several places of worship in this street.
Islam Shah Suri, son of Sher Shah Suri started the construction of this fort. He passed away before the construction was completed. His work was carried forward by several other Mughal Emperors. Emperor Jahangir connected this fort to the mainland and his successor Shahjahan connected it with the Red Fort. During the reign of Aurangzeb it became a state prison. Indian Freedom Fighters were also imprisoned and kept here by the British. A war memorial has been erected in their honor.
This is the cremation site of the man about whom Einstein had famously said that posterity would find it difficult to believe that such a man of flesh and blood ever walked on this earth. The idol of millions Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated and the last words that he uttered "Hey Ram" are inscribed on the square platform which marks the spot of his cremation. Gardens surround this area.
The St. James Church is emblematic of a valiant soldier's belief in the existence of God. On reading the History of the St. James Church one will certainly be interested in visiting it.