What is Gastric Ulcer?
An ulcer on the inner lining of the stomach that is
the open sore in the stomach lining is called a Gastric
Ulcer. This is another term for stomach ulcers. These
ulcers are within the stomach. It is actually a break
in the normal tissue lining the stomach. They may be
associated with H. Pylori infection or the use of aspirin
and other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs.
Causes of Gastric Ulcer:
Benign gastric ulcers are caused by an imbalance between
the secretion of acid and an enzyme called pepsin and
the defenses of the stomach's mucosal lining. This leads
to inflammation that may be aggravated by aspirin and
nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications.
Risk factors for gastric ulcers:
- Use of aspirin and NSAIDs
- Helicobacter pylori infection
- Chronic gastritis
- Increasing age
- Mechanical ventilation (being put on a respirator)
Symptoms of Gastric Ulcer:
- Abdominal pain
- May wake you at night
- May be relieved by antacids or milk
- May occur 2 to 3 hours after a meal
- May be worse if you don't eat
- Abdominal indigestion
- Vomiting, especially vomiting blood
- Blood in stools or black, tarry stools
- Unintentional weight loss
- Note: There may be no symptoms.
For people with Helicobacter pylori infection, the
main goal is eradication of the organism that causes
the problem. Multiple regimens are effective and usually
include either an H2 receptor antagonist such as famotidine
(Pepcid) or nizatidine (Axid) or a proton pump inhibitor
such as omeprazole (Prilosec) or esomeprazole (Nexium)
to suppress acid, combined with two antibiotics. For
people without H. pylori infection, ulcer-healing medications
such as antacids, H2 receptor antagonists, or proton
pump inhibitors are usually effective. Long-term treatment
may be required.In the event of bleeding from the ulcer,
endoscopic therapy can control bleeding in most cases.
Surgical intervention may be recommended for people
who do not respond to medical therapy or to endoscopic
therapy for bleeding. A vagotomy (cutting the vagus
nerve, which controls the stomach's production of gastric
acid ) or a partial gastrectomy (removal of part of
the stomach) may be necessary.
Self-help measures include:
- Avoiding smoking
- Avoiding tea, coffee, and soft drinks containing
- Avoiding alcohol
- Avoiding aspirin and NSAIDs
- Eating several small meals a day at regular
Apollo Hospitals are well-known for its expertise in
Gastric Surgery Treatments. The Hospitals with their
High quality treatments are at par to international
standards. They treat deformities, injury related conditions
and personal grooming requirements. Gastric Surgeries
are quite familiar a business in Apollo Hospitals.
(In US $)
(In US $)
|1) Gall Bladder Surgery
||2 - 3 Days
|2) Hernia Repair (Unilateral)
- Prices are subject to change or withdrawal without notice.
- These are indicative prices only and may vary depending on the conditon of the patient, at the time of admission.
- Apollo will provide final estimates at the time of patient's admission.
- Single room is well furnished with Bed, Sofa-cum-Bed for Companion, Cupboard, Medicine Drawer, TV, Telephone and
Wi-fi facility for Internet access. Mobile phones are available on request.
- Stay and food for one Companion with patient in a Single Room is included in the above packages.
- Services like Mobile, Laundry etc. will be charged extra.
- Post-stay outside the Hospital is at the personal expense of the patient and is not included in the above prices.
- 1 US $ = INR 45
Indiaprofile.com offers diagnosis and treatment For
Gastric Surgeries. Log on to it to get the information
regarding the concerned diseases, its diagnosis and
its different forms of treatments.