Once considered an issue of vanity, obesity is now considered a disease and has been linked with increased mortality and comorbidities. Simply put, obesity is the state of having too much adipose tissue. With the obesity-related disorders some of which life-threatening, such as gallbladder disease, sleep apnea, urinary incontinence, cancer, diverticulitis, intracranial hypertension and musculoskeletal disorders, the disease needs immediate clinical efforts to avoid them. Certain surgical procedures, known as Bariatric Surgery, are available to treat morbid obesity. The surgeons who perform the surgical procedures on the patients are Bariatric surgeons.
Bariatric surgery, also known as wight loss surgery, is a clinical procedure performed to treat obesity by modification of gastrointestinal tract in order to reduce food intake and absorption. Bariatric surgery may help attain healthy weight to those patients who are morbidly obese and are unable to achieve weight loss through dieting and exercise. For the patients with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or greater who instituted but failed diet programs and adequate exercise, bariatric surgery is a treatment option. It is also recommended for those patients who have developed obesity-related conditions such as diabetes, sleep apnea and hypertension. Bariatric surgeons undertakes the surgical treatment of such patients.
Bariatric surgery is a complex and intricate procedure with associated risks and thus calls for an experienced surgeon in bariatric surgery. The bariatric surgeon works with a comprehensive bariatric team comprising a bariatric nurse, a medical specialist, a dietician and a psychologist. As with any surgical procedures, the bariatric surgery also has some associated risks. Although very low (0.2%), there is a mortality rate linked with the surgery. The bariatric surgeon ensures that a patient has been meticulously assessed for surgery, is aware of the risks and prepared for the outcomes.
The bariatric surgeon also monitors postoperative care for the patient and altered anatomy to help him/her regain the normal healthy weight. There are some good Bariatric surgeons of international repute available in India.
(In US $)
(In US $)
|1) Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding
- Prices are subject to change or withdrawal without notice.
- These are indicative prices only and may vary depending on the conditon of the patient, at the time of admission.
- Apollo will provide final estimates at the time of patient's admission.
- Single room is well furnished with Bed, Sofa-cum-Bed for Companion, Cupboard, Medicine Drawer, TV, Telephone and
Wi-fi facility for Internet access. Mobile phones are available on request.
- Stay and food for one Companion with patient in a Single Room is included in the above packages.
- Services like Mobile, Laundry etc. will be charged extra.
- Post-stay outside the Hospital is at the personal expense of the patient and is not included in the above prices.
- 1 US $ = INR 45
Dr A.K. Kriplani
India Profile offers Medical Tourism in India. For more information please enter your query in the form provided.